Skip to Main Content


We offer braces, Invisalign, and early intervention for children to help straighten teeth and correct misalignment.

Request Appointment

Orthodontics in New Glasgow

Straight, Healthy Teeth – Your Way

Orthodontics is the practice of straightening teeth to correct misalignment issues. This typically involves either metal braces, which are bonded to your teeth, or plastic Invisalign clear aligners, which are ideal for patients who desire a more discreet treatment.

We use braces and Invisalign to treat complex orthodontic issues in children, teens and adults. These treatment options can help us shift the teeth into their ideal positions, helping to address the hygiene and bite issues caused by misalignment.

At Highland Dental Centre, we also offer orthodontic treatment for young children, sometimes referred to as functional therapy or orthopedics. With these techniques, we can help guide your child's jaw growth and development.

Invisalign Clear Aligners in Pictou County

Invisalign is an alternative to braces for orthodontic treatment. These aligners provide a metal-free way to straighten teeth. They are specifically made to fit your mouth and are changed every two weeks to move your teeth in small steps.

Learn More About Invisalign

Why is Having an Even Bite Important?

Untreated crooked teeth, such as crowded teeth, make it more challenging to maintain oral hygiene. They make it more difficult to brush and floss, which can contribute to cavities and sometimes gum disease.

Protruding teeth are susceptible to chipping, and other issues can cause tongue thrusting and speech impediments.

In cases like these, early orthodontic treatment and braces are important to prevent serious problems later in life.

If you are concerned about your bite, please contact our dentists at Highland Dental Centre today to schedule an appointment.

Early Orthodontics for Children

Early orthodontic treatment is sometimes referred to as orthopedics or functional therapy. This type of orthodontic treatment is initiated earlier, in an effort to guide facial growth and jaw structure.

It is known that only 18-20% of malocclusion (imperfect alignment of teeth when the mouth is closed) in children is genetic. This implies that the remaining 80% of poor bites arise due to environmental factors, such as improper tongue position, mouth breathing, allergies, or enlarged tonsils and adenoids.

As these influences act upon the development of lower facial muscles almost from birth, it is important to try to counteract these negative influences early and allow for more normal development.

Why are Orthodontics for Children Important?

Well-timed functional therapy can influence your child's jaw development, often discouraging mouth breathing, poor sleep habits and a slow physical growth pattern.

Functional orthopedic therapy is usually of short duration. It may involve removable appliances and often makes more extensive therapy (like braces) unnecessary.

Functional orthopedics are a great way to help younger patients avoid many of the conditions that have plagued their parents, such as poor sleep habits, pain due to temporomandibular joint disorder, sleep apnea, small lower jaws (weak chin profile), and proud upper teeth (buck teeth) that may lead to poor self-image.

New Patients Always Welcome

We are accepting new patients! Don't hesitate to contact us and take the first step toward achieving better oral health outcomes.

Contact Us

(902) 752-0224 Contact